Thursday, June 25, 2009

Central Oregon roamings, part 5 - Painted Hills Unit of the John Day Fossil Beds-Carroll Rim Trail

After leaving the Painted Cove area I headed back toward the overlook area of the main portion of the Painted Hills. However this time I opted to do the Carroll Rim hike as the sun was getting low and not just sit on my behind at the overlook with the same angles of the hills that I had before. What a treat this trail was! It is a rather short 3/4 mile up to the top of the overlooking rim and a decent steep portion of trail for a bit as well. The views along the rim are a grand overview of the entire Painted Hills unit and worth it! The wind was howling at me up there and it was getting colder quickly. The light was beautiful as it rolled across the hills.



I left the Painted Hills shortly afterwards and was thrilled with the results of this, my first full day of the four day trip. Had I really began this day up by the Columbia River? I hardly could remember the abandoned buildings, the courthouses, and even the Clarno Unit of the monument all from that day!


What a great long day it was...and to be followed up with a grand day coming up at the Sheep Rock Unit of the monument! That's for the next story....

No comments:

Post a Comment